GripTight Isolation Plug – Quickly and Safely Isolate and Pressure Test Pipe
EST Group’s GripTight Isolation Plug allows you to positively isolate and monitor potentially explosive vapors during “hot work”, then effectively
hydrotest the new weld connection with one easy to use tool. The GripTight Isolation Plug integrates all the features of EST Group’s Double Block
and Bleed Test Plug with GripTight gripping technology. The GripTight Grippers enhance operational safety, by reducing the risks associated with
unexpected upstream pressure in the line. The GripTight Isolation Plug is capable of withstanding upstream pressures up to 1500 PsiG (103
BarG). If the upstream pressure increases, then the GripTight Grippers actually use the pressure to increase their grip on the pipe. The greater
the pressure, the greater the grip!
• After determining pipe and schedule size, install the GripTight Isolation Plug upstream of “hot work” area
• Expand seals and grippers by tightening compression nuts
• Inject inert gas or water between seals (isolation zone) and pressurize
• Monitor isolation zone pressure during “hot work”
• After weld cools, release pressure and seal, reposition isolation zone over weld area
• Pressurize isolation zone to test weld area
Features and Benefits
• Dual port system allows water to be circulated between seals, providing enhanced
cooling capabilities during pre/post weld procedures
• Lightweight, aluminum and steel construction makes it easy to use
• Test pressures to 2250 PsiG (155 BarG) between the seals
• Upstream pressure up to 1500 PsiG (103 BarG)
• Available for NPS ranging from 3/4” to 24” (DN20 – DN600)
• Pressure tests performed with less than a gallon of water. Reduced fi ll time. Reduced waste disposal.
Standard materials include aluminum body with steel hardware and urethane seals.
• Does the pipe need to be in a specifi c condition before the GripTight Isolation Plug can be installed?
Yes. The GripTight Isolation Plug is designed for use in seamless and welded pipe. In seam welded pipe or where corrosion, pitting, or scale
is present, the pipe ID may require some preparation prior to plug installation and use.
• Will the GripTight Isolation Plug accommodate slight weld intrusion?
Yes. The plug is designed with increased clearance (up to 3/8” on larger size plugs) to allow the plug to be positioned over the weld for
testing even when slight weld intrusion is present on the Inner Diameter of the pipe.
• What is the average time required to install a GripTight Isolation Plug and achieve a pressure test?
After the temperature of the weld area has decreased below 180°F (82°C), the Griptight Isolation Plug can be used to complete pressure
tests in as little as 10 minutes from insertion to removal.
• What upkeep and storage conditions are required to preserve the quality and performance of the GripTight Isolation Plug?
The GripTight Isolation Plug requires periodic inspection of the O-Rings and Seals prior to testing. The compression shafts should be
inspected and anti-seize should be applied as needed. After a test has been completed, the compression nuts should be retracted so the
seals can fully relax; allowing the Urethane Seals to return to their original size, preventing any permanent swelling and/or deformation.